Early spring features plenty of days when you can turn off your furnace and treat your home—and its occupants—to a taste of the pleasant weather to come. Here’s how to take advantage of early glimpses of spring—and save some household energy while you’re at it:
• Open the windows. If it’s warm enough to let some fresh air in during this in-between season of no heaters and no air conditioners, do it. Leave the windows open overnight to air out the house and stave off the need for the a/c.
• Let the sunshine in. Open the drapes on sunny days and let nature keep your home warm. As it starts getting hot, though, cover windows up so incoming sunrays won’t compete with the a/c.
• Cook outdoors. Dust off the grill and start cookout season early this year.
• Switch the direction of the blades on your ceiling fan. For warm weather, the blades should rotate counterclockwise.
• Readjust your water heater’s temperature to 120 degrees if you cranked it up a few degrees for the winter.
• Schedule your home’s a/c maintenance now, before you need to turn on the air conditioning for the summer. Read More