Like most things in life, saving money on air-conditioning bills is most likely if you have a plan.
Plan a strategy for keeping your home cool this summer without breaking the bank. Here are six tips:
1. Get a qualified service technician to your house to give a once-over to your central air-conditioning system and any window units you might have. Like any appliance, a well-tuned air conditioner will operate in the most energy-efficient way.
2. Set your thermostat to 78 degrees while you’re home, and higher before you leave the house for the day. If you have a programmable thermostat, it will set itself.
3. Turn ceiling fans on when you enter a room and off when you leave. A ceiling fan doesn’t cool a room; it moves the air around so anyone in the room will feel cooler. So there’s no benefit to running a fan when nobody is around.
4. Notice the outdoor temperature every evening. If it’s cool enough, turn the a/c off and open the windows before bedtime.
5. Close your drapes or blinds when it’s sunny outside to block the heat, but leave them open on cloudy days to get some natural daylight into your rooms.
6. Avoid cooking in your kitchen on hot, summer days. Instead, grill outdoors, serve cold dishes, order take-out or heat food up in the microwave oven.