SWPPD Blog

 

Jan23

Got bedrooms? Install carbon monoxide detectors

Any home with gas heat or other gas appliances needs carbon monoxide detectors.

 You can’t see or smell carbon monoxide, which is a potential byproduct of burning fossil fuels like natural gas, propane and kerosene. Your home should have at least one carbon monoxide detector to alert you of the presence of gas.

Follow these safety guidelines:

  • The safest use of carbon monoxide detectors is to install one outside of the bedrooms on every floor that has bedrooms. The alarm that goes off in case of a gas leak can alert your family to wake up and get out of the house.  
  • Place your detectors a minimum of 15 feet away from a gas stove or oven, which may emit a small amount of carbon monoxide on startup.
  • Detectors don’t operate properly in humid areas like the bathroom.
  • Replace the batteries in your alarms twice a year.
  • Properly maintain your gas appliances, including the furnace and stove. Same goes for devices that use gasoline, like the lawnmower.
  • Know the warning signs of too much carbon monoxide in the house: Stuffy, stale air; condensation on windows; yellow burner flames on the stove; and fluttering or extinguishing pilot lights.
  • If you see the signs or your alarm sounds, turn off your gas appliances, open doors and windows, and leave the house. Then call 911. 
  • If your garage is connected to your house, avoid idling your car. Car exhaust is a source of carbon monoxide.