After a long, chilly winter, we’re all ready for warm summer weather. Is your air conditioning system as ready as you are?
There’s nothing worse than an A/C malfunction on the hottest day of the year. A springtime once-over can prevent that from happening.
Plus, air conditioning is your biggest energy expense during the summer. Keep summer energy bills in check by making time for a few pre-summer rituals:
- Schedule a professional tune-up for your air conditioner before the hottest days arrive so yours won’t break down during the busiest time for repairs.
- If you’re in the market for a new air conditioner, buy one with the highest SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) rating you can afford. These appliances are the most efficient.
- Don’t buy too big. An air conditioner should “fit” the size of your home. An HVAC professional can advise you about proper sizing.
- Turn on your ceiling fans. They increase the circulation of cool air and might allow you to move the thermostat up a notch.
- Close your window blinds during the hottest part of the day.
- Add insulation to your attic and caulk windows. Preventing cool air from leaking out of your house can reduce cooling costs by up to 20 percent.